[Application-profiles-ig] DataCite example

Thomas Baker tom at tombaker.org
Wed Jun 3 14:54:50 BST 2020

On 2020-05-30 08:13, Karen Coyle wrote: >>我们需要澄清是否>> label is the (or one of the) original label(s) of the predicate, or the>> label for element within the context or implementation of the>> application? Do we need two label properties? Or do we not especially>> care about the original label? I tend to think people will want to>> record their implementation label. You could end up with a wide semantic>> gap between predicate and label if people perceive it as a way to>> "customize their metadata", but that could be addressed in best>> practices. What do others think?We had discussions about this in the early 2000s, and some early guidelines for APs actually proposed that a profile distinguish between labels taken from the source vocabulary and "local labels" worded to make the meaning of the property clearer for a particular context. "Translated" labels (into Italian, Korean, etc) were of course a special case... Karen responded: >[This] brings up the>bigger question of how to prevent contradictions between the original>vocabulary terms and their use in an AP.I would argue that this is something that depends on people understanding semantics and, as such, cannot be tested by any sort of validation algorithms. (Except maybe in the future by AI.) >This reuse question applies not>only to APs but all reuse and it's something that I don't think has been>addressed in any metadata universe. So let's see what we can conclude about>labels, and then how we will step neatly away from the bigger question,>which is not something we can resolve.Yes - agreed :-) Tom -- Tom Baker <tom at tombaker.org>