[Application-profiles-ig] Our element definitions

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Tue Mar 17 16:50:33 GMT 2020

Thanks, Tom, for taking a look at this. I think that the cardinality question is one of the harder ones that we'll have to grapple with. Obviously the short "1..-1" is nicely concise, but I'd love to find a way to put this in front of non-coder AP creators and see how it plays with them. If we were assuming an interface between the creator and the spreadsheet then I think it would be an easy decision. If instead we think that this AP template is to be filled in directly in many cases then the decision is less easy. If anyone has folks within their community who might be creating APs it would be great if you could run this by them. I have a few outlets myself where I will do this. I think the way to do it is to show them the table with the single cardinality column and the "1..-1" notation and ask if they know what it means. Then explain it (if they don't) and see if they get it and like it. Very unscientific, so if anyone has a better idea, let's hear it! kc On 3/17/20 7:05 AM, Thomas Baker wrote: >在结婚,2020年3月04 09:23:13AM -0800,Karen Coyle wrote:>>I took an action to begin creating definitions for the elements that>>we have used so far in the simple application profile template. I>>have created a document in the github repo:>>>>https://github.com/dcmi/dcap/blob/master/simple.md>>The starter set you propose is: Entity, Entity_label,>Property, Property_label, Mandatory, Repeatable,>Value_type, Value, Annotation.>>However, I'm wondering if we should distinguish>underlying concepts:>>Entity - a resource being described>Property - an attribute of the resource being described>Value - the specific content of the attribute>>from the "elements" of the simple profile model:>>Entity_ID - an identifier for a resource being described>Entity_label - a human-readable text representing the resource being described>Property_ID - identifier of a property used to describe the resource>Property_label - a human-readable text representing the property>Cardinality - (see below) - the allowable number of statements using a given property with a given value>Value_type - data type of the value in the instance data for the related property>Value_constraint - a further constraint on the value>Annotation - free-form comments about the statement>>>I decided to go with the second set>>which spells out mandatory and repeatable (as opposed to a single>>element for cardinality).>>I'm in favor of a single-element cardinality if we could>promote a simple convention with a short explanation of>how it maps to "mandatory" and "repeatable", e.g.:>>"1">* statement must be present ("mandatory")>* statement is not repeatable>>"1..3">* statement is mandatory>* statement is repeatable up to three times>>“1 . . 1”>* statement is mandatory>* statement is repeatable an arbitrary number of times>>"0..1">* statement is not mandatory>* statement is not repeatable>>"0..-1">* statement is not mandatory>* statement is repeatable an arbitrary number of times>>Tom>-- Karen Coylekcoyle at kcoyle.nethttp://kcoyle.netskype: kcoylenet