[Application-profiles-ig] Our element definitions

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Fri Mar 20 15:32:53 GMT 2020

Ah, got it! yes, the entity is a class or type or category of things, not an individual. You gave this: "Entity": A metadata construct similar to a class or object type which may form part of a description that conforms to the application profile." We may need to word it a bit less in terms of code-like concepts (e.g. "object type") - maybe add something like "the thing or concept being described." But I like the precision of your definition. As for base specification, that's being used in the DXWG work [1]. That group has struggled with "specification" v. "vocabulary" v. "ontology" as again we don't have settled terms for this, and it seems to depend on the circumstance. I think it would be worth trying to write this up in plain wording to figure out first what we *mean* and then go on to the word-smithing. We probably will need to define a lot of terms for ourselves and our audience in order to reach clarity. I'll see if I can get something started. kc [1]https://www.w3.org/TR/dx-prof/#Class:ProfileOn 3/20/20 7:39 AM, Phil Barker wrote: >Sorry that I am not making myself clear. Partly that's maybe because>what I am saying makes no sense; but my point is that it is compatible>with the element definitions we have so far.>>On 20/03/2020 13:55, Karen Coyle wrote:>>>>>>On 3/19/20 11:17 AM, Phil Barker wrote:>>>Is there any expected relationship between what is in column one and>>>something in a base specification? (understood that base>>>specifications vary widely in what they cover) Is being an instance>>>of (e.g.) foaf:Person enough. I'm struggling to see why someone would>>>write an application profile for a single item.>>>>>>Phil>>>>>>>Sorry, Phil, I'm not clear on what you mean by base specification, or>>by single item. By "base" do you mean the vocabulary the profile is a>>profile of?>Yes (if there is a better term to use perhaps we should define it)>>And by single item do you mean a profile that does not define two or>>more entities?>>No, I mean a single unique thing, like Me, my half-full teacup, the>dog-eared copy of the book I'm reading, or any real or digital world>instance.>>They meet the current definition of Entity "Entity: a resource being>described" (or an identifier for them does if you change the definition>to be an identifer)>>But it makes no sense to list such things in an application profile.>(Does it?) You don't write application profiles to describe a single>unique instance.>>I think we should be more specific about what we mean by entity. I think>(if I've understood correctly) that what you list under Entity is>像一个类或一个类型标识符(但not exclusively in an>RDF or OO sense), so if I had to take a shot at defining it I would suggest:>>"Entity": a group of resources sharing certain characteristics. The>application profile specifies which characteristics should be described>and how.>>or maybe>>"Entity": A metadata construct similar to a class or object type which>may form part of a description that conforms to the application profile.>>or maybe bits of both.>>It's entirely possible that I have misunderstood what you mean by>entity, but unless it is sensible to list me in an application profile>the current definition is not helping me understand what you do mean.>>Phil>>>-->>Phil Barker <http://people.pjjk.net/phil>.http://people.pjjk.net/phil>CETIS LLP <https://www.cetis.org.uk>: a cooperative consultancy for>innovation in education technology.>PJJK Limited <https://www.pjjk.co.uk>: technology to enhance learning;>information systems for education.>>CETIS is a co-operative limited liability partnership, registered in>England number OC399090>PJJK Limited is registered in Scotland as a private limited company,>number SC569282.>-- Karen Coylekcoyle at kcoyle.nethttp://kcoyle.netskype: kcoylenet