[Application-profiles-ig] Our element definitions

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Fri Mar 27 15:05:30 GMT 2020

I'll add another thought about "shape" - It seems to me that we have two distinct "things" to name - there is the thing that the metadata developer wants to describe ("book" "author" "instruction course" "medical procedure"); then there is the unit of metadata that combines the thing and all of its descriptors (for book, "pages" "date" "publisher"). At least in RDF it makes sense to me that the latter is a shape, but the former is not. ShEx and SHACL call the former "node" but that's very much an RDF view and may not make sense to folks who are working in a tabular format. If we like "shape" for the metadata unit, then we still need something for that "thing" that the metadata developer is wishing to describe. Although the end result is a metadata construct (and I really like that wording for the unit of "thing" and "descriptors") there's a need to bridge the developer's starting point ("what is the 'thing' I need to describe?") with the end result ("here's my metadata for that thing"). I don't think that we'll be able to come up with a unique term for "thing", but we can define it well. kc On 3/27/20 4:02 AM, Phil Barker wrote: >>On 24/03/2020 17:20, Thomas Baker wrote:>>In ShEx, a_metadata construct_ for grouping resources that>>_share certain characteristics_ is called a "shape".>>Might this work?>>>>"Shape": A metadata construct for grouping the>>properties of things that share certain>>characteristics.>It might work>>Plus:>>* "Shape" lacks the baggage of "class" or "type">>* Unlike "thing" or "entity", "shape" is unlikely to be confused>>with the notion of an individual thing or entity.>>* Aligns to the use of "shape" in ShEx and (I think) SHACL.>>>>Minus:>>* For most people, would not evoke anything they would>>intuitively understand (or is that a plus?).>>Also Minus: for some people it will carry the baggage of ShEx and SHACL>(or is that a plus?).>>我不知道任何更好,但我很liking "Archetype".>Going back 2500 years it has had a sense of a pure form which embodies>the fundamental characteristics of a thing (from wikipedia [1><https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archetype>] ) But it also has some>baggage in information science [2><https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archetype_(information_science)>].>>Probably all the words have been used: "Shape", "Form", "Archetype".>Maybe just call it Timmy [3><https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timaeus_(dialogue)>].>>Phil>>>1.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archetype>2.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archetype_(information_science)>3.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timaeus_(dialogue)>>>-->>Phil Barker <http://people.pjjk.net/phil>.http://people.pjjk.net/phil>CETIS LLP <https://www.cetis.org.uk>: a cooperative consultancy for>innovation in education technology.>PJJK Limited <https://www.pjjk.co.uk>: technology to enhance learning;>information systems for education.>>CETIS is a co-operative limited liability partnership, registered in>England number OC399090>PJJK Limited is registered in Scotland as a private limited company,>number SC569282.>-- Karen Coylekcoyle at kcoyle.nethttp://kcoyle.netskype: kcoylenet