[Application-profiles-ig] Draft of blog post

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Thu Apr 15 20:21:37 BST 2021

+1 - will incorporate into mine - many thanks - kc On 4/15/21 10:48 AM, Phil Barker wrote: >If it helps, here's a paragraph that I wrote about DC TAP as an update>to a group I'm involved in (it's not great, and apologies for not>consulting when writing it but it was written in a hurry as the request>for updates came very late)>>DCMI is preparing for imminent release of a public draft for comment of>the Dublin Core Tabular Application Profiles (DC TAP) specification. The>DC TAP specification aims to facilitate the reuse of existing metadata>terms and concept schemes from existing vocabularies. Initially it is>focused on RDF terms, but we hope it will be applicable to some other>approaches. Essentially it provides a standard tabular format, which is>human editable and machine readable, for documenting which terms should>be used and any constraints on their use. Work is underway on tools to>convert application profiles in DC TAP to other more expressive formats>for validating RDF data, such as ShEx and SHACL.>>On 15/04/2021 18:09, Karen Coyle wrote:>>I didn't realize how hard it would be to write the blog post for the>>DC site. I've done a draft - that I'm am not actually happy with, but:>>>>https://hackmd.io/6v4r3hr9RTKbh7AGIqOdKA>>>>I would really like to get help with this. I think I'm just not sure>>how to write in "DC voice." If anyone has ideas, please shout them out.>>>>Thanks,>>kc>>>>Non-markdown text is:>>>>Blog post: DC announces draft of specification for tabular application>>profiles>>>>The Dublin Core Application Profiles Interest Group wishes to receive>>comments on the draft specification of the Dublin Core Tabular>>Application Profiles (DC TAP). In the spirit of Dublin Core, the DC>>TAP provides a basic set of data elements that can address the core>>requirements of application profiles.>>>>The DC TAP consists of twelve elements that can form the column>>headers of an application profile in table or spreadsheet form.>>Although only a small number of elements, the DC TAP can document:>>metadata description properties, their cardinality (mandatory,>>repeatable); RDF node types; value datatypes; and specific value rules>>such as picklists and IRI stems representing namespaces for valid>>values, and programmable patterns such as regular expressions. These>>elements can be grouped to form the descriptive set for individual>>entities in the metadata being defined. The DC TAP also includes>>columns for labels and notes. It has been designed to be compatible>>with metadata in RDF format, but also can be used with other metadata>>formats.>>>>集团利益ed in making improvements to the DC TAP based on>>actual use. We would very much like to hear from anyone making use of>>the DC TAP for their data: what worked, and what didn’t. We would also>>like to gather a variety of profiles using DC TAP for others to view>>as examples. If you can share your work, please send it to the mailing>>list given below.>>>>The DC TAP is defined in a primer and is supported by a vocabulary>>document and a template. In addition, there are slides and videos of>>presentations of the DC TAP in meetings and conferences that can be>>viewed.>>>>The Interest Group wishes to receive comments on the work from all>>interested parties. Comments or questions may be presented by opening>>an issue in the DC TAP github repository or through the group’s email>>list. Posting to the email list is limited to those who have>>subscribed (to avoid spam) so you are encouraged to join the list to>>participate in the discussion. Note that if you prefer not to join the>>list the administrator will forward the message to the list but you>>might not receive responding emails.>-->>Phil Barker <http://people.pjjk.net/phil>.http://people.pjjk.net/phil>CETIS LLP <https://www.cetis.org.uk>: a cooperative consultancy for>innovation in education technology.>PJJK Limited <https://www.pjjk.co.uk>: technology to enhance learning;>information systems for education.>>CETIS is a co-operative limited liability partnership, registered in>England number OC399090>PJJK Limited is registered in Scotland as a private limited company,>SC569282数量。>-- Karen Coylekcoyle at kcoyle.nethttp://kcoyle.netskype: kcoylenet