[Application-profiles-ig] Please review first draft

John Huck john.huck at ualberta.ca
Mon Oct 19 23:12:19 BST 2020

Hello all, I am still reading through the doc and everyone's comments right now, but wanted to raise a question, which is this: Have we fully worked through what it means to say the following two things and avoid a contradiction: "...the model defines only the application profile and is silent on the data format of the instance data that the profile constrains" (introduction) "It [the outcome] will be designed (initially) for RDF metadata" (goal) At first I was going to suggest qualifying the goal to say something like "designed for properties that are RDF predicates", but then I wondered if this might need more discussion to clarify what we mean by 'RDF metadata.' Some of the questions that come to mind: would RDF metadata include a database implementation that can generate triples? That could mean just about any kind of data. Do we mean RDF structure? The model does pull a bit in both directions, making provisions on the one hand for cardinality (not inherently part of RDF structure) but also node types, etc., on the other. Which of the two principles above should carry greater weight? Is it enough just to redefine the scope by talking about RDF predicates? Cheers, John -- *John Huck*, MLIS Metadata Librarian / University of Alberta Library / he/him/his ᐊᒥᐢᑲᐧᒋᐋᐧᐢᑲᐦᐃᑲᐣ / Amiskwaciwâskahikan / Edmonton *The University of Alberta respectfully acknowledges that we are situated on Treaty 6 territory, traditional lands of First Nations and Métis people.* On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 at 14:37, Karen Coyle <kcoyle at kcoyle.net> wrote: >Thanks, Phil, and also for the link. Yes, I think we mainly need a>primer to reach our first intended audience, but I do really want us to>make a start on normative documentation - if only because that will be>the document against which we test everything else we say. That said,>I'm not experienced at writing the really formal document (I've always>been fortunate enough to be in standards groups where there was someone>better suited to take that on) so it'll be a challenge for us, but if>it's test-able we have a shot at getting it right.>>kc>>On 10/19/20 11:15 AM, Phil Barker wrote:>> Structure looks great, thanks for making such a great start. Perhaps>> more of a primer than normative specification documentation, but I>> suspect a primer is more useful that a more formal doc right now--which>> reminded me, I saw this from Leigh Dodds on good standards documentation>>>https://blog.ldodds.com/2020/10/14/tip-for-improving-standards-documentation/>>>> Sorry, I couldn't entirely resist word-smithy suggestions.>>>> Phil>>>> On 10/10/2020 17:31, Karen Coyle wrote:>>> All,>>>>>> I have done a first draft of our "alpha release" document:>>>>>>>>>https://hackmd.io/pTp9ub_bQbO6vxZra1w-kw?view>>>>>> I'd like everyone to take a quick look at the structure and approach>> >在我走得更远。这不是准备word-smithing so please>>> restrain those impulses and concentrate on the overall approach for>>> now. We can get more into detail later. Send an email or add comments>>> to the document. Please do not make changes to the document at this>>> point or it may create confusion.>>>>>> Note that Nishad has updated his diagram, which I use throughout, and>>> I will work in the updates over the next few days:>>>>>>>https://n1sh-my.sharepoint.com/:b:/g/personal/nishad_thalhath_org/EXhn1CYlFphLobPcUZjRe-YB9-94j9QmykBRqRlKwaMD_g?e=8hXG7J>>>>>>>>> Thanks,>>> kc>> -->>>> Phil Barker <http://people.pjjk.net/phil>.http://people.pjjk.net/phil>> CETIS LLP <https://www.cetis.org.uk>: a cooperative consultancy for>> innovation in education technology.>> PJJK Limited <https://www.pjjk.co.uk>: technology to enhance learning;>> information systems for education.>>>> CETIS is a co-operative limited liability partnership, registered in>> England number OC399090>> PJJK Limited is registered in Scotland as a private limited company,>> number SC569282.>>>>-->Karen Coyle>kcoyle at kcoyle.nethttp://kcoyle.net>skype: kcoylenet>-------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <https://lists.www.voudr.com/pipermail/application-profiles-ig/attachments/20201019/7dc504d2/attachment-0001.htm>