[Application-profiles-ig] open/closed

Karen Coyle kcoyle kcoyle.net
2020年9月17日星期四16:33:31 BST

We have a github issue from our early round of requirements that says that the profile must state whether it is open or closed [1]. This is quite relevant to the RDF profile that we are working on. In simple terms this means:* open: when properties or classes are encountered that are not in the profile, this is not an error closed: only properties and classes included in the profile are valid What makes this tricky is that it is about the profile as a whole and therefore cannot be placed in our csv template, which has rows for shapes and for properties but no place for information about the profile as a whole. This "problem" is similar to that for the domain name prefix declarations, which we have determined must be in a separate file (although we haven't yet gone into any detail about the formatting of that file). The open/closed declaration may be necessary for validation so it will be difficult to leave that un-defined. There are, however, other profile-wide bits of information, like PROV-type information, that might also fit into a manifest for the profile. I don't think we can resolve this quickly, and it would distract us some from finalizing the template, but I do think that in any documentation we need to make clear that we know this is on our horizon. kc [1]https://github.com/dcmi/dcap/issues/33* p.s. Other uses of profiles, such as to select properties from existing metadata, may not need this rule. But presumably they could ignore it. But this reminds me that we need to address the various uses of profiles. Another task. -- Karen Coylekcoyle kcoyle.nethttp://kcoyle.netskype: kcoylenet